Service: Long Lake Work Day (Middleville)
Saturday, May 10, 2014, 9:00 am – 8:00 pm
Long Lake Outdoor Center, 10370 Gun Lake Rd, Middleville, MI, View Map
Calling All CFI Members! It's time to get your work boots and painting clothes on and join us for the annual Long Lake Work Day for our May Service Project.
Please help us give back to the community and preserve this beautiful historic campground so that it can be enjoyed by the numerous schools and community groups who visit every year.
You'll also help CFI–MI reduce costs for the Secular Summer Retreat in July!
This event is open to all who wish to help – spread the word – many hands make light(er) work AND more fun!
The work day will run from 9am to 8pm. Come for a few hours or for the entire day - Let us know your availability when you RSVP so we can plan appropriately.
Food & some beverages will be provided (BYOB if you wish). Note: There will not be drinking water available – Please remember to bring your own drinking water.
This year there are two main themes--painting and clearing downed trees.
Painting: Staining the outside of cabins, Painting the kitchen ceiling & floor.
Tree clearing: Using wood chippers, Sawing downed trees and branches into sizes that fit into the chippers. (Rick will be renting a chipper to handle up to 8” diameter branches.)
Additional projects include: Replacing a few screens in Craft House and General cabin spring maintenance.
Specialty projects and tools needed include:
- Painting tarps for covering the kitchen counters during ceiling painting, and the porches of cabins being stained.
- Chain saws for cutting the wood into manageable pieces.
- Wood chippers of any size, and the expertise to use it.(Lots of pine trees came down this winter, so the more chippers and saws, the merrier!)
Please RSVP to Cindy at if you will be able to help us at LLOC on Saturday, May 10.
When you RSVP please indicate:
- Your Full name and anyone who will be coming with you.
- Your cell phone # or best # to reach you at.
- What time you plan to arrive and how long you can stay, so we can maximize the use of your time.
- Specialty Tools: If you have a wood chipper, and the expertise to use it, please mention that as well.
- Wear clothes that can get dirty, with pine sap and/or paint on them, sturdy closed-toed shoes and bring a hat and sunglasses.
- Anyone using a chipper needs a hard hat, ear protection, eye protection, gloves, long pants, boots, and no loose fitting clothing.
- Dress appropriately for the weather. The Work Day will go on Rain or Shine. Bring plenty of water and stay hydrated!
If you can't attend - please consider a monetary donation to support our ongoing programming.
CFI Secular Service is a program of CFI Michigan that is working to support CFI’s mission by translating humanist values into action for the common good. Secular Service is working to provide opportunities for members to engage in community service and outreach throughout the year. Learn more about CFI Secular Service here. If you would like additional information about upcoming Secular Service projects or have questions - please contact Cindy Krieg: Email or call 616-698-2342.
Cost: A Generous Donation of Your Time - THANKS!
Contact: Cindy Krieg, , (616) 698-2342