NEW! Advocacy Training Workshop (Grand Rapids)
Wednesday, March 22, 2017, 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm
Women's City Club, 254 E. Fulton St., Grand Rapids, MI, View Map
Presented by Jennifer Beahan, Program Director, Center for Inquiry-Michigan
Over the next four years the Center for Inquiry is committed to resisting the harmful initiatives proposed by the current administration that threaten the rights of secular individuals and will fight to defend our shared ideals of reason, science, and secular values.
We need your help to sustain our efforts!
We want you to become a Citizen Lobbyist, empowered to resist anti-secular, anti-freedom, and anti-science initiatives in all levels of government.
We've designed a NEW Advocacy Training Workshop to give you the tools you need to join us in this fight:
- How to effectively communicate with elected officials and speak confidently about your views as secular citizens who vote!
- How to call, e-mail and meet with legislators, and the opportunity to practice your new skills with fellow attendees.
- How to Track State and Federal Legislation.
- An overview of CFI’s Office of Public Policy, and an update on CFI’s advocacy work in Washington and at the United Nations.
- An overview of CFI’s Core Advocacy Issues and an update on CFI Michigan’s Legislative Priorities for 2017, and how to educate legislators about CFI's mission and programs.
- How to join CFI Michigan’s new Advocacy Response Team to help us have a larger reach with our advocacy efforts.
If you can't join us on Wednesday night - the Workshop will be repeated at Café Inquiry on Sunday, March 26th
New to Advocacy or Lobbying?Don't Worry! No experience necessary…the training session will equip you with the tools you need to speak confidently about your views as a secular citizen. Remember, our elected officials work for us, and the more voices we have the more likely we are to be heard.
About the Speaker
Jennifer Beahan is the Program Director for CFI–Michigan, and has been a leader of the group for 15 years. She manages CFI Michigan’s ongoing programming—with over 200 educational, social and service events each year—and supports the growing secular community throughout Michigan. Her interests include interfaith outreach, volunteer management, program development, and she is an activist fighting for secular, LGBTQ and women’s equality. She holds a Bachelor’s of Music Education (K-12), and in addition to her work for CFI she teaches private music lessons on piano and woodwinds.
Meetings are open to the Public and are held in the Auditorium on the lower level. Please use the door on the south side of the building on the lower level (by parking lot).
After the meeting, join us at Vitale's Sports Bar, 834 Leonard NE, Grand Rapids, MI to socialize. View Map
The Auditorium is wheelchair accessible via a lift immediately inside and to the left of the lower level door.
Center for Inquiry Michigan values full participation for all attendees at all of our events, including participation from individuals with disabilities. Requests for reasonable accommodation may be made by contacting Jennifer Beahan at or 616-706-2029 at least three days prior to the event.
Cost: FREE / Suggested Donation $5. Ways to Support CFI & Donate Online
Contact: Jennifer Beahan, , 616-698-2342